Turner Broadcasting BIT Support Engineer in Washington, District Of Columbia
Posting Job Title BIT Support Engineer
Time Warner Division Turner
Cable/Broadcast Television Networks
Games – Development & Publishing
Area of Interest Engineering
United States - District of Columbia - Washington
Position Type Full Time
Posting Job Description
The Turner Story
Turner is a division of Time Warner along with our sister companies, HBO and Warner Bros. We are better known as the folks who bring you CNN, HLN, TCM, TNT, TBS, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Turner Sports and so much more! From cutting-edge breaking news stories, up-to-the-minute sports coverage, and the characters we grew up loving on to the shows we love today, Turner continues to be the gold standard in first class television programming and a demonstrated leader in digital content. We tell the stories the world wants to hear. Won’t you be a part of our story? http://www.turner.com/
See what it’s like to work at Turner! Follow us onInstagram,TwitterandFacebook
What part will you play?
The Broadcast & IT Support Engineer will use a wide range of necessary technical skills to perform maintenance, installation, board and/or some component level repair of broadcast and IT equipment in both studio and outside broadcast facilities in a fast-paced production environment. In-house production support of live and recorded programming requires a thorough systems knowledge of broadcast IT infrastructurewhich includes:
- Technical spaces (control rooms, studios, terminal gear/equipment/central apparatus/distribution riser rooms and data centers)
- Associated production systems (A/V and data routing, signal processing, cameras, switchers, audio mixers, intercom, encoders/encoding, feeds/edit systems, master control, automation, server based playback and transmission systems, etc.)
A strong baseline IT and data networking knowledge is also necessary to work in an increasingly IP and IT centric broadcast/multimedia infrastructure.
Turner BEST teams operate within an ITSM Service Management framework, supported by common processes around planning and managing changes. Adherence to our standard ITSM processes to minimize impact and deliver value to our customers is required, including documenting issues/requests and escalating as needed for problem management and resolution via our in-house service management system(s).
While primarily providing facility-based support, there may be occasions requiring support of outside productions/events or to provide technical support to upgrade outside broadcast facilities. Any maintenance of Electronic Newsgathering (ENG) crew gear will be a shared responsibility with the field engineering team. Our Engineers collaborate with team members, clients and other support groups to troubleshoot and resolve issues with broadcast/multimedia systems and computers in our production environments. We expect our BIT Engineers to build good relationships among our client base and to provide excellent customer service.
*We operate in a 24/7 production environment. Shift work on a rotating schedule may be necessary to meet the needs of our customers.
What will you be doing?
- Support and maintain an active production facility: repair, calibration and installation of audio & video broadcast/IT equipment; including: equipment within the production facilities such as control rooms and studios (cameras, switchers, audio mixers, multi-viewers, intercom system, monitors, graphic equipment, server/playback, etc.) and related supporting infrastructure in TGR/data center and master control areas, transmission sites and throughout any broadcast infrastructure plants supported by the team (A/V routers, data routers, RF/fiber transmission, tally, signal processing gear, CATV system, etc.). Depending on your location, maintenance/repair of ENG crew gear (field cameras, mixers, microphones, lights, etc.) may be required
- Perform technical support for critical/on-air production systems. Ability to back-up or assist other support groups and clients for non-critical systems and IT/PC gear, including installation, problem correction, removal/replacement, or other tasks as necessary to ensure continuation of customer work productivity and/or on-air transmission
- Support upgrades of outside broadcast facilities, including "pool" wiring projects, and live event productions, including equipment transport, set-up, operation and breakdown
- Participate on technology design, installation, and integration projects with complex, leading-edge technology in an increasingly broadcast IP and IT centric environment, including broadcast and server-based systems, data networking (e.g., routers, switches) and other comparable equipment
- Document quality standards, system anomalies, operational procedures, reference materials, and project work. Use of 1) AutoCad for system documentation and 2) ITSM ticketing tool to log incidents/requests. Ensure sufficient inventory of parts and technology supplies, working with procurement and asset management teams to order and track inventory
- May participate in remote assignments with engineers from across Turner. Represent the company in dynamic, multi-cultural environments and effectively interface with demanding broadcast personnel (e.g., on-air talent, producers) in a professional manner
- Manage a production site or live truck, if qualified/assigned, and document all associated expenses involved therein
What do we require from you?
- 2 or 4 year technical degree, preferably electronics or computer engineering (or equivalent education/experience/training)
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer desktop hardware/applications and data networking
- Typically 4 or more years of experience in television, multimedia content, IT client service or broadcast maintenance capacity, with a demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and repair broadcast and computer equipment at the board level
- Demonstrates experience with television or multimedia production workflows
- Demonstrated familiarity with basic server, networking topology and operating systems (e.g., Windows, Unix, etc.)
- Ability to work all shifts associated with 24x7x365 production environments
- Capable of lifting 50 lbs. and climbing ladders for equipment and cable installation assignments
- Must be willing to be on call for coverage of critical technical systems
- Ability to perform varied tasks, document systems and processes, adapt to changing priorities, and the ability to solve complex technical problems independently are essential to be successful in this position
- Possess manufacturer-provided broadcast training from SONY, Omneon/Harmonic, EVERTZ, Imagine, etc…, Microsoft Network Certification, software programming skills (HTML, V.B., C++) desired
- Familiarity with Autocad, MS-Project desired
- Familiarity with ITSM Service Management process desired
But wait, there’s more!
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- 2017 Best Company forWorking Mothers
- An in-houselearning and development teamto help shape and grow your career
- Part of the Time Warner family of powerhouse brands
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and E-Verify users. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.