Turner Broadcasting Director, Business Strategy & Operations – Bleacher Report in San Francisco, California
Posting Job Title Director, Business Strategy & Operations – Bleacher Report
Time Warner Division Turner
Cable/Broadcast Television Networks
Games – Development & Publishing
Area of Interest Strategic Planning/Analysis
United States - California - San Francisco
Position Type Full Time
Posting Job Description
Bleacher Report is the social voice of sports – creating and collaborating on the culture of sports for the next generation of fans. Its vision for making sports bigger than games has led to unmatched engagement on social media, where it consistently ranks as the No. 1 publisher. Bleacher Report also provides an industry-leading fan experience on mobile devices through Team Stream™, the top-rated smartphone and tablet app. Find Bleacher Report on the web at www.bleacherreport.com and on Instagram @BleacherReport. Bleacher Report is a division of Turner Sports.
Since being acquired by Turner in 2012, B/R has gained all the advantages of a large media company while maintaining its vibrant start-up culture. We work in a fast paced, 24-7 field in a laid back environment (those who do not want to work nights and weekends need not apply). You'll also be in a role that allows you to work with multiple groups and networks.
What part will you play?
The Business Strategy & Operations group plays a core role in maintaining/optimizing B/R's existing businesses (including content creation, programming/distribution, and supporting our ad-driven revenue products) and exploring, building, or piloting new ones. The Director of Strategy and Operations will partner with senior leadership (strategy, operations, BD, content, product/engineering, etc.) on a variety of strategic projects. They will also define and measure progress towards business goals for specific initiatives, and consult with senior leadership across the organization to determine what is working (and where/how we should expand) vs. not working (and where/how we should scale back).
What will you be doing?
- Own or support a multitude of strategic initiatives - 60% Under the supervision of the VP Strategy & Analytics, help with a variety of repeatable projects, including (but not limited to) strategic management offsite planning and facilitation, ensuring company communication from leadership is consistent and exhaustive, evaluation of new business opportunities, and more. Oversee market research or business model creation to support strategic opportunities under evaluation (market sizing, competitive analyses, SWOT analyses, etc.) Work closely with senior leadership (CEO and others) to evaluate new opportunities and measure success/failure of existing initiatives.
Team and project management - 40% Manage and develop team of 2 Manager-level employees who focus on a variety of strategic and operational projects. These employees should be high performers with high ceilings - people who could take on a variety of roles in their tenure at B/R. This Director-level role is no different, but a significant portion of his/her time should be spent developing/growing the people on his/her team to reach their full potential. Communicate consistently/effectively with other members of the internal team whose departments would benefit from the strategic project this person is working on. Understand and interpret the business impact (benefit) of pursuing the initiative(s) this person is evaluating. What do we require from you?
At least 6 - 8 years’ work experience in strategy/operations, consulting, finance, tech, media, start-ups, or other related fields.
- Experience managing small teams directly and influencing large departments/teams indirectly.
- Experience building/overseeing business cases and simple financial models; ability to perform analysis on and uncover insights from data; ability to oversee projects of this nature but simultaneous willingness to roll up his/her sleeves and do the work him/herself.
- Ability to own a project independently start-to-finish AND communicate up, down, and across thoroughly throughout scope of project.
- Strong understanding of digital/mobile/social media space and of relevant sports media properties (B/R and others); proven interest in the direction the space is heading.
- Bonus Points: Experience working in sports or sports media. College degree required. Masters degree (especially MBA) preferred.
But wait, there’s more!
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- 2017 Best Company forWorking Mothers
- An in-houselearning and development teamto help shape and grow your career
- Part of the Time Warner family of powerhouse brands like HBO, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, TNT, and TBS
See what it’s like to work at Turner!Follow us on Instagram , Twitter and Facebook
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and E-Verify users. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.