Turner Broadcasting Director, Consumer Insights in New York, New York
Posting Job Title Director, Consumer Insights
Time Warner Division Turner
Cable/Broadcast Television Networks
Games – Development & Publishing
Area of Interest Research
United States - New York - New York
Position Type Full Time
Posting Job Description
About Turner / Our Story
Turner owns and operates some of the leading cable television networks and related properties in the world, including CNN, HLN, TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Turner Classic Movies, Adult Swim, truTV and Turner Sports, reaching an impressively broad domestic and international audience. We are not just about TV! Turner manages digital sports, including bleacherreport.com, NBA.com, NCAA.com, PGA.com and our newest – E LEAGUE. See more of what we are about at http://www.turner.com/
See what it’s like to work at Turner! Follow usInstagram,TwitterandFacebook.
What part will you play?
- The Director, Consumer Insights will be a key leader on a newly formed corporate Consumer Insights Team at Turner
- The Director will build, deliver and implement a foundational research program to arm Turner with deep consumer knowledge to guide product and experience development and identify new monetization opportunities for the company
- The foundational Consumer Insights research delivered by this individual will be used to guide corporate strategy, new monetization opportunities, direct to consumer product and experience development and marketing strategy
- Core foundational research studies will include an ongoing program focused on consumer intelligence, identifying and tracking trends at the intersection of consumers, content and technology, distilling the relationship between consumers and their data, and mapping how and why content decision are made
- The Director will partner with the Consumer Insights team, Corporate Strategy, Product teams, Brand Research and Cross Portfolio Research to: Build, Deliver and Implement Foundational Research
- Build a visionary foundational research plan that drives deep consumer intelligence to inform strategy, innovation, product and experience development
What will you be doing?
- Work with Brand research teams to: Inform and gather input to ensure strong connection points between key research initiatives at the corporate consumer insights and brand levels
- Integrate brand needs into research to ensure research does not duplicate activities at the brand level and adds to a broad and deep understanding of the consumer across the organization
- Implement foundational research by providing the brands with the tools to customize insights to support their individual businesses
- Iterate and shape future research studies to address unanswered questions and emerging needs
- Deliver primary research studies to build a continuous learning program that arms Turner with deep consumer knowledge to inform all direct to consumer strategies, products and experience
- Integrate first party, syndicated and social data sources with primary consumer research when viable and additive, to drive utility both internally and externally Develop a launch plan that includes a bill of materials, that deploys white papers, audience tailored presentation decks, videos and infographics to support research releases and drive awareness and education within key stakeholder groups
- Work with partners within Consumer Insights Team and internal stakeholders to drive research implementation including
- Ongoing identification of key insight territories to guide direct to consumer strategies and product development
- Mapping of met and unmet consumer needs to identify white space opportunities for innovation/new products and experiences
- Distillation of key consumer trends to inform consumer strategies, marketing and product direction
- Support all workstreams that involve building products, experiences or strategies from core insight territories derived from foundational research (including co-creation sessions, workshops and other forms of consumer centric product/experience development)
- Build, refine and distill best practice across the Turner research community around research design, methodologies, deliverable development and implementation tools
- Identify and cultivate new, innovative research, data and analytics providers
- Create compelling executive keynotes to land the research at major tent pole media events like CES and Cannes and spark PR coverage
- Additionally, the Director will be expected to partner with corporate strategy to keep abreast of business priorities and objectives
- Work closely with product teams across the company to distill foundational consumer learning and core insight territories to help build a consumer first culture around product and experience development and delivery
- Proactively partner closely with Brand Research leads and their teams (Entertainment - TBS / TNT, Emerging Consumers - ADSM / CN / TRU / BOOM, News - CNN / HLN / GBS, and Turner Sports)
- Work with Cross Portfolio Research to help them deploy consumer insights to tell comprehensive consumer/audience stories that sales can leverage to sell our audiences
Manage a team, including hiring and development of staff, providing guidance, coaching and feedback, performance management and providing day to day oversight including directing, assigning and prioritizing work of manager(s). This role will report to the Vice President of Consumer Insights What do we require from you?
7-8+ of experience in a consumer insights function on the brand or vendor side
- Ability to design complex research initiatives that align with business requirements
- Deep knowledge of how and when to use different consumer insights methods including both qualitative and quantative tools
- Ability to connect and find core themes and insights across a wide range of research initiatives, over time
- Product development (including new products) experience using consumer centric research tools
- Proven track record implementing consumer research with stakeholder groups to positively drive change/impact for the business
- Great story teller and presenter with the ability to leverage research to tell a consumer grounded story to non-researchers
- Superior communication skills both verbally and written
- Strong data integration skills, with a track record leveraging different data sources to drive meaningful consumer stories
- Dynamic, innovative leader with strong influencing skills and business acumen ability to distill insights to executive audiences
- Well-versed in latest trends/platforms/technologies
- Helpful to have some knowledge of both linear and digital research capabilities and limitations
- Consumer Insights background on either the brand or vendor side
- Passion for innovation and making products and experiences better for consumers
- Has well established relationships with research firms and providers of data
Experience managing budgets What's in it for you?
An entrepreneurial environment.
- Competitive comp, benefits, and work life programs.
- Mobility within the company to grow and develop your career with Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.
But wait, there’s more!
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- 2016 Best Company forWorking Mothers
- An in-houselearning and development teamto help shape and grow your career
- Part of the Time Warner family of powerhouse brands Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and E-Verify users. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.