Turner Broadcasting Weekend Supervising Editor in London, United Kingdom
Posting Job Title Weekend Supervising Editor
Time Warner Division Turner
Cable/Broadcast Television Networks
Games – Development & Publishing
Area of Interest News
United Kingdom - London
Position Type Full Time
Posting Job Description
Would you like to work for a leading global media organisation?Do you have experience in digital journalism? If so, we’d love to hear from you.We are currently recruiting a Weekend Supervising Editor to join the CNN Digital team in London.
The dynamic CNN Digital team in London is looking for a Weekend Supervising Editor to oversee and shape its international weekend coverage. This is a role for an experienced digital journalist with a passion for news and features and outstanding editorial judgement as well as a great understanding of building and growing digital audiences.
The role will focus, with direction from senior editorial leadership, on weekend editorial oversight of CNN’s digital platforms and on expanding CNN Digital’s weekend audiences – both on and off platform. This includes planning, commissioning and producing a consistent flow of ultra-high quality material, coordinating with other digital units, the TV programming teams, and a global network of correspondents as well as editing the work of digital producers on the team. S/he will drive coverage on global breaking news events, commission, edit and occasionally write stories, coordinate with digital and TV newsgathering teams and work closely with the digital programming team globally to ensure CNN’s coverage is smart, distinctive and delivered with speed and accuracy to our global audience.
The successful candidate will also need to deputize for senior editorial leaders when needed and represent the team at editorial meetings and in other workflows. The Weekend Supervising Editor needs to have an understanding of how to grow audiences in key markets through tailored content and strategic programming based on actionable data.
Key duties and responsibilities include:
- Shape, commission and oversee weekend coverage, including breaking news, features and other distinctive content to ensure editorial traffic and engagement commitments and budgets are met.
- Lead a team of producers, commission and oversee their work as well as being responsible for their career development
- Work on field assignments and run the teams assigned for digital
- Create, write, edit and produce world-class digital editorial coverage using digital and social storytelling techniques. Produce digital coverage including text, images, video, social storytelling, user-generated content initiatives and social curation.
- Work closely with TV and Newsgathering colleagues on editorial, as well as other digital units, to ensure content is produced, optimized and delivered in an integrated way across platforms, with special focus on mobile first content.
- Ensure that editorial quality and standards are met and delivered across stories by commissioning effectively, providing editorial guidance and routing sensitive queries appropriately. Manage planning, editorial workflow and provide editorial guidance to journalists to ensure editorial standards are met.
- Encourage innovation, such as interactive storytelling, social storytelling and data visualization, with a big emphasis on original video, social promotion and mobile engagement.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues and stakeholders across the network to ensure that all relevant parties are well informed.
- Deputize for senior editorial leadership
Knowledge and experience required
- Significant experience in digital journalism and multi-platform content/production
- Experience working independently and setting editorial priorities is essential.
- The successful candidate needs to possess superior news judgement and deliver in a fast-paced breaking news environment.
- Must have a strong track record of editing news and feature stories. Should be able to swiftly fact-check stories, have a close eye for detail and a knack for writing sharp headlines.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills
- Understanding of how to drive regional and global digital audience growth
- Experience in managing and directing others
- Solid knowledge of international affairs
- Successful track record in delivering digital content – especially video and mobile only productions
- Experience, calmness and initiative in dealing with a big breaking news story
- Major newsroom experience
- Exceptional understanding of real- and longer term metrics
- Capable of working across time zones and cross-culture
- Flexible and able to operate in a fast-changing and exciting environment
- Desire to make CNN Digital innovative and distinctive
- A global mindset
Working from our London office in the heart of Soho , you will have the opportunity to work for a truly global media company. With global scope and local focus, we’ll find and share stories that matter to our diverse audiences and clients.
Less Fear, More Fun, All In.
Don’t forget to check out our Facebook page to see what life is like at Turner!