Turner Broadcasting Engineering Lead, Live Events BEST Studios in Atlanta, Georgia
Posting Job Title Engineering Lead, Live Events BEST Studios
Time Warner Division Turner
Cable/Broadcast Television Networks
Games – Development & Publishing
Area of Interest Engineering
United States - Georgia - Atlanta
Position Type Full Time
Posting Job Description
The Turner Story
Turner is a division of Time Warner along with our sister companies, HBO and Warner Bros. We are better known as the folks who bring you CNN, HLN, TCM, TNT, TBS, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Turner Sports and so much more! From cutting-edge breaking news stories, up-to-the-minute sports coverage, and the characters we grew up loving on to the shows we love today, Turner continues to be the gold standard in first class television programming and a demonstrated leader in digital content. We tell the stories the world wants to hear. Won’t you be a part of our story? http://www.turner.com/
See what it’s like to work at Turner! Follow us on Instagram , Twitter and Facebook
What part will you play?
The Engineering/Technical Lead is a member of BEST (Broadcast Engineering & Systems Technology), Turner's Global Broadcast Technology Services division. 500+ BEST team members deliver the technology services that allow our brands to distribute content on any platform at any time. The Engineering/Technical Lead will be a member of the team supporting Turner Studios/Turner Sports. They work alongside engineering management and technical operations teams to plan and execute the technical/engineering needs of live and recorded events. This includes productions such as NBA regular season, NBA playoffs, NBA All Star, MLB playoffs, ELEAGUE, PGA Championship, NCAA March Madness/Final Four, UEFA Champions League/Europa League, and more. This position requires expert-level knowledge in broadcast television engineering disciplines and a solid understanding of TCP/IP and compute technology. The individual in this position is responsible for the technical readiness of systems and infrastructure supporting studios, production control rooms, and ancillary production areas. With this responsibility, the Engineering/Technical Lead is expected to provide technical oversight of staff engineers and direct installation, maintenance, and repair activities (both preventative and emergency) in a fast-paced production environment to ensure consistent up-time of critical production systems.
The skill set demanded by this position are dynamic and will continue to evolve rapidly in response to the evolving technical landscape of the television industry. This individual must demonstrate the ability to accept and adapt to this evolution while presenting a willing and positive attitude.
A strong baseline IT and data networking knowledge is also necessary to work in an increasingly IP and IT centric broadcast/multimedia infrastructure.
Turner BEST teams operate within an ITSM Service Management framework, supported by common processes around planning and managing changes. Adherence to our standard ITSM processes to minimize impact and deliver value to our customers is required, including documenting issues/requests and escalating as needed for problem management and resolution via our in-house service management system(s).
While primarily providing facility-based support, there may be occasions requiring support of outside productions/events or to provide technical support to upgrade outside broadcast facilities. Any maintenance of Electronic Newsgathering (ENG) crew gear will be a shared responsibility with the field engineering team. Our Engineers collaborate with team members, clients and other support groups to troubleshoot and resolve issues with broadcast/multimedia systems and computers in our production environments. We expect our BIT Engineers to build good relationships amongst our client base and to provide excellent customer service.
* This position requires shifting work hours based on event schedules, especially during high-profile programming.
What will you be doing?
- Serve in a lead role of support and maintenance of critical/on-air production systems within an active production facility: repair, calibration, and installation of audio & video broadcast/IT equipment within control rooms and studios and related supporting infrastructure in terminal gear rooms/data centers (cameras, switchers, audio mixers, multi-viewers, intercom, monitors/display systems, graphic equipment, server/playback, A/V routers, data routers, RF/fiber transmission, tally, signal processing gear, etc.)
- Serve in a lead role of technology design, installation, and integration for projects with complex, leading-edge technology in an increasingly IP and IT-centric environment, including broadcast and server-based systems, data networking (e.g., routers, switches), etc.
- Document quality standards, system anomalies, operational procedures, reference materials, and project work. Use of 1) AutoCAD and other tools for system documentation and 2) ITSM ticketing tool to log daily incidents/requests. Ensure sufficient inventory of parts and technology supplies, working with procurement and asset management teams to order and track inventory
- May participate in remote assignments with engineers from across Turner. Represent the company in dynamic, multi-cultural environments and effectively interface with demanding personnel (e.g., on-air talent, producers) in a professional manner
What do we require from you?
- 2 or 4 year technical degree, preferably Electronics or Computer Engineering; or equivalent education/experience/training
- Typically 10 or more years of experience in a live broadcast facility with a demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and repair broadcast and computer equipment
- Ability to perform varied tasks, document systems and processes, adapt to changing priorities, and the ability to solve complex technical problems independently
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), organizational, leadership, and technical skills
- A strong baseline knowledge of computer/server systems, networking topology, and operating systems (e.g., Windows, Unix, etc.); certifications are a plus
- Willingness to learn Turner proprietary equipment and applications and bring recommendations based on prior experiences
- Ability to work all shifts associated with 24x7x365 production environments
- Capable of lifting 50 lbs. and climbing ladders for equipment and cable installation assignments
- Must be willing to be on call for coverage of critical technical systems
- Manufacturer-provided broadcast training from vendors such as Sony, Evertz, Grassvalley, Ross, RTS, DNF, etc. is a plus
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, MS-Project, Visio desired
- Familiarity with ITSM Service Management process desired
But wait, there’s more!
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- 2017 Best Company forWorking Mothers
- An in-houselearning and development teamto help shape and grow your career
- Part of the Time Warner family of powerhouse brands
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and E-Verify users. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.